Monday, September 24, 2012

Making Tuesday Tasty-Garden Veggie Soup

This recipe is kind of loosely based on Alton Brown's Garden Vegetable soup.  I don't ever write down my amounts when I cook, so I like to alter other recipes and post here to my liking.   
I usually use organic and lower sodium chicken broth as my base but, you could definitely use vegetable broth!  It enriches the flavor.  I also often add at the very end a can of unsalted green beans because it's easier.  I love tomatoes but, my family doesn't so I generally will add either the really small diced, and canned tomatoes or, I will add a large jar or can of tomato sauce to give the broth a richness. 

Ingredients

4 tablespoons olive oil 2 cups chopped leeks, white part only (from approximately 3 medium leeks)
2 tablespoons finely minced garlic
Kosher salt
2 cups carrots, peeled and chopped into rounds (approximately 2 medium)
2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
2 cups fresh green beans, broken or cut into 3/4-inch pieces
2 quarts chicken or vegetable broth
4 cups peeled, seeded, and chopped tomatoes or a large can of your favorite tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup packed, chopped fresh basil leaves or a small bunch of cilantro(do according to your taste)

Directions

Heat the olive oil in large, heavy-bottomed stockpot over medium-low heat. Once hot, add the leeks, garlic, and a pinch of salt and sweat until they begin to soften, approximately 7 to 8 minutes. Add the carrots, potatoes, and green beans and continue to cook for 4 to 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the stock, increase the heat to high, and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, add the tomatoes and pepper. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the vegetables are fork tender, approximately 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat and add the parsley and lemon juice. Season, to taste, with kosher salt. Serve immediately.

 SERVES 6

0 comments: