Monday, January 16, 2012

Mama Share Monday-Sleeping Issues

Ahh here is one dear to my heart. My daughter was easily "sleep trained" and my son, well he is almost a year old and still not sleeping through the night completely. Below are some ideas on helping you get your little one to sleep.


  • Put your baby down in a quiet, dark place when you can.  The dark helps their eyes to adjust and allows them to start feeling sleepy.
  • If you can, put your baby down awake as often as possible. Your baby will start training themselves to go to sleep on their own.
  • Start a routine as soon as you can. Do the same things each night that trigger your baby that it's time to go to sleep.
  • Warm water makes babies relaxed and can help them go to sleep easier. If you're having trouble with this, try giving them a bath before bedtime.
  • Give your baby/child something to help them soothe.  Whether it's a pacifier, a lovey, or a blanket it doesn't matter.  Often children need something of comfort if they aren't co-sleeping.
  • Co-sleep. I know, I know, there's plenty of parents that would freak out if they read this!  Co-sleeping, if done safely, has been well known to help a baby through their first year of life. I have co-slept while nursing my babies from time to time and they don't still sleep with me(my son is ten months old).
  • Read stories, give cuddles, say prayers, or do whatever it is you do to spend quality time with your child.
  • Be consistent as much as possible! Changing up sleeping arrangements can be disturbing for a child. It can make it hard on them at bedtime.
Please share all your ideas in the comment section below. Thanks for coming by!

0 comments: