Tuesday, August 16, 2011

August Is National Breastfeeding Month!

National breastfeeding month is something dear to my heart. It makes me happy that breastfeeding is getting acknowledged as a valid and necessary start to a baby's life. I have had a wonderful bonding experience with both of my children while nursing them. My daughter for ten months and now my son who is almost six months old. Each of them were unique in their feeding habits and each has posed it's own set of challenges. It was something I always thought I would do and I have fulfilled that goal with happiness. The road wasn't always easy but, it was attainable.

I will try and post some facts about breastfeeding in a few posts so that moms who are curious about nursing can see for themselves why breastfeeding should be a goal, at least for a few months of their baby's life. Not all moms can breastfeed but, the majority can. It's important to educate yourself on anything you choose to do for you and your family.

Did you know?:
  • Formula isn't sterile?
  • Formula contains Formaldehyde
  • A Mother's breast milk is constantly changing as her baby grows to provide the exact type of nutrition the baby needs.
  • Breast milk is species specific and is the perfect nutrition for your infant.
  • Adults who were breastfed as babies often have lower blood pressure, lower cholesterol, and lower rates of obesity and type 2 diabetes.
Here is a short video to give a general guideline of how nursing takes place in the beginning. Enjoy


0 comments: