Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Gonna Make Tuesday Tasty!


My husband had a real gratin a month or so ago when we went to a restaurant downtown. I've had it before in different ways and I love potatoes of almost every variety so, I of course love them. Hubby fell in love and he's really picky. I found this recipe courtesy of Tyler Florence and it looks delicious. I will probably adjust mine to remove the nutmeg since I'm not a fan. I know it's only supposed to be an essence and to accentuate the cream but, meh.

Easter is coming up, may be a nice side dish to add to your table!

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 sprig fresh thyme
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Butter
2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch thick slices
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for broiling
Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
In a saucepan, heat up the cream with a sprig of thyme, chopped garlic and nutmeg.
While cream is heating up, butter a casserole dish. Place a layer of potato in an overlapping pattern and season with salt and pepper. Remove cream from heat, then pour a little over the potatoes. Top with some grated Parmesan. Make 2 more layers. Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes. Sprinkle some more Parmesan and broil until cheese browns, about 5 minutes

2 comments:

gahome2mom said...

Looks good! How do we make our own heavy cream?

Melanie said...

you can buy heavy cream in your dairy aisle. Thick and can be whipped and sweetened for desserts.