Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Gonna Make Tuesday Tasty!


My husband had a real gratin a month or so ago when we went to a restaurant downtown. I've had it before in different ways and I love potatoes of almost every variety so, I of course love them. Hubby fell in love and he's really picky. I found this recipe courtesy of Tyler Florence and it looks delicious. I will probably adjust mine to remove the nutmeg since I'm not a fan. I know it's only supposed to be an essence and to accentuate the cream but, meh.

Easter is coming up, may be a nice side dish to add to your table!

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 sprig fresh thyme
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Butter
2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch thick slices
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for broiling
Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
In a saucepan, heat up the cream with a sprig of thyme, chopped garlic and nutmeg.
While cream is heating up, butter a casserole dish. Place a layer of potato in an overlapping pattern and season with salt and pepper. Remove cream from heat, then pour a little over the potatoes. Top with some grated Parmesan. Make 2 more layers. Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes. Sprinkle some more Parmesan and broil until cheese browns, about 5 minutes

2 comments:

JJ said...

Looks good! How do we make our own heavy cream?

Melanie said...

you can buy heavy cream in your dairy aisle. Thick and can be whipped and sweetened for desserts.